Sunday, November 03, 2013

What?! No way . . . A POST!!

Ok, yes I've posted again. What's it been at least 2 years. Not that anyone else isn't worthy of an update (because you certainly are), but I'm trying this blog thing out again (blogs are so 2011) to keep my parents informed on things as they serve a church mission in the Congo. The question is can I keep up with the blog? Based on my track record . . . wait don't answer that. People can change, right? (Certainly don't answer THAT!)

Our garden that is in the experimental stages. Observing which vegetables do best in our locale. So far we think these will do best: Tomatoes, peas, beans, corn, lettuce, kale, broccoli, kohlrabi (never had this before), radish (ate one the other day with the kids . . . spicy), carrots, sweet potato, and green onions. We did notice some squash forming so we'll see exactly how that goes. We are really disappointed in the cucumbers. So far they are not cooperating. Harvested tomatoes, peas, beans, some lettuce . . . I think the carrots will soon be done along with most of the lettuce. We will be getting four hen chicks Thursday. Fresh eggs. It's been a while. Love the farm feel in an urban environment.

Bananas.


Wild neighborhood turkeys that also become pains in the neck. Thanksgiving is coming around, right?

Woodrose. A vine species that can become a nuisance. In this one tree (opiuma) we have this vine, the red-masked parakeet (very noisy, couldn't get a photo), and an epiphyte tree called autograph tree (see broad leaf tree below) that worries me. It will eventually grow long roots to the ground and strangle its host tree. The host tree is huge, and if it fell over would crush the house.


Finally a dining table. That papaya came from our yard. Awesome.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Well I'm impressed! Maybe I will start blogging again too... Maybe... Loved the pictures and the garden! I'm so jealous. We just dug ours all up a week or so ago. Here comes winter! boooooo